2019 FACL BC ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
FACL BC's 2019 Annual General Meeting will be held on Friday, July 26, 2019 from 5:30pm to 7:30pm at McCarthy Tetrault's Vancouver Office (Suite 2400 - 745 Thurlow Street).
This AGM is only open to current FACL BC members. Please register by July 19, 2019. If you are not a current FACL BC member, you can join/renew through our website.
- 5:30-6:00 – Registration and networking reception
- 6:00 – President – Call for meeting to order
- 6:00-6:10 – Treasurer/ Secretary remarks – financials statements and membership details
- 6:10-6:20 – Outgoing President’s remarks
- 6:20-6:30 – Incoming President’s remarks
- 6:30-6:35 – Acknowledgement of departing board members
- 6:35-6:40 – Acknowledgment of remaining board members
- 6:40-7:00 - Voting on the Special Resolution to Amend Bylaws
- 7:00- 7:20 – Election and appointment of new Board members and Secretary
- 7:20-7:30 – Closing Remarks and Adjournment
- 7:30 – Late – After party (Location TBD)
All members, please consider nominating yourself for any of the following positions for this upcoming 2019-2020 FACL BC year:
1 Secretary (one year commitment)
- The Secretary is an integral part of FACL BC’s executive team and responsible for doing, or making the necessary arrangements for, the following:
- overseeing minutes of General Meetings and Board meetings;
- maintaining records of the FACL BC Society in accordance with the Societies Act;
- assisting in conducting the correspondence of the Board; and
- overseeing the filing of the annual report of the Society and making any other filings with the registrar under the Societies Act.
- If we have more than 1 candidate for the Secretary position, we will conduct an election at the AGM.
4 Directors at Large (two year commitment)
- Members on FACL BC’s Board of Directors are expected to assume active high-level and on-the-ground leadership for our various initiatives.
- These positions are open to FACL BC members who have active “Full Membership” status.
- If we have more than 4 candidates for the Full Member Director at Large positions, we will conduct an election at the AGM.
3 Student Directors (one year commitment)
- FACL BC is aiming to be inclusive with its student relations and has 1 Student Director position for each of BC’s law schools (Allard Law at UBC, TRU, UVic).
- Student Directors are meant to be liaisons/key contacts between FACL BC and their respective law schools.
- These positions are open to FACL BC members who are current JD or graduate students at the above law schools and have active “Student Membership” status.
- If we have more than 1 candidate per BC law school for each Student Director position, we will conduct an election at the AGM.
- The available student director positions for 2019-2020 are:
- Student Director, Peter A. Allard School of Law at UBC
- Student Director, Thompson Rivers University Faculty of Law
- Student Director, University of Victoria Faculty of Law
If you are interested in running, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by July 17, 2019 with a short summary of why you are interested in our organization, the extent of your previous involvement, and the position you seek to run for.
All board members are expected to attend monthly board meetings (in-person & teleconference) and contribute actively to the planning and execution of FACL BC programming and initiatives.
FACL BC’s leadership team offers an excellent avenue for junior and experienced lawyers, and law students, alike to contribute to the community, establish rich and diverse new contacts, and build upon leadership skills. We are a pan-Asian organization celebrating the diversity of our Asian communities – we explicitly encourage South Asian, East Asian, West Asian, Southeast Asian, and other Asian-Canadian legal professionals to participate in FACL BC.
If you have any questions regarding your membership status, please email us at email@example.com.
FACL BC gratefully acknowledges the generous support of McCarthy Tétrault as its Preferred Partner in Diversity.
Copyright © 2019 FACL BC, All rights reserved.